In this article we talk about Secrets To Cure And Prevent ‘Pink Eye’ In Babies . Eyes are very important part of human body and when it comes to infants, it has to be taken care of as they are very sensitive. The conjunctiva, which is a transparent membrane, lines the inside of the eyelids and covers the white part known as the sclera. When this transparent membrane gets infected or inflamed, it results in conjunctivitis or ‘Pink Eye’ as it is commonly known. In other words, ‘Pink Eye’ is a result of inflamed red blood cells in the conjunctiva. Here are some Secrets To Cure And Prevent ‘Pink Eye’ In Babies. If your baby is suffering from Pink Eye, you must take proper care and provide immediate care. Here are its causes, symptoms, and treatment:
How To Spot Pink Eye In Babies?
Here are the most common Pink Eye symptoms in babies:
- If you see your baby itching too much in either one or both eyes.
- If you notice constant tearing in eyes.
- If you notice redness in either one or both eyes.
- If the discharge that generally forms the crust in the night gathers together and prevents the eye from opening in the morning.
Causes And Treatment Of Pink Eye In Babies:
Pink Eye treatment for babies solely depend on the three main causes:
The virus that causes the common cold often causes conjunctivitis too.
- This virus is extremely contagious.
- When Pink Eye is caused due to this virus, one often sees a watery mucus discharge from the eyes in the form of conjunctivitis.
When your baby is suffering from viral conjunctivitis, the symptoms might last anything between 1-3 weeks. If the infection is severe, it may last longer too.
- This type of Pink Eye generally gets cured on its own.
- Never use any drops, especially antibiotic drops for viral Pink Eye.
- Hot water compress can bring some relief from the uneasiness.
If you notice your baby’s eyes extremely red and with a lot of pus being formed, then bacterial conjunctivitis is the reason behind it.
- This form too is very contagious and one must be careful about it.
- This can cause swelling of eyes and may even cause eyelids to stick together. This is because of the thick secretion from eyes.
When your baby suffers from bacterial conjunctivitis, he must be taken to an ophthalmologist immediately.
- Mostly, an ophthalmologist prescribes eye drops to treat bacterial conjunctivitis.
- Hot water compress can also bring some relief from the discomfort.
There are times when an allergen or an irritant causes a reaction in the eyes. This type of Pink Eye is generally identified by itching.
- When Pink Eye is allergic, it is often advised to treat it with cool compresses.
- Eye drops, especially for treating allergy, can also help reduce the symptoms and treat it.
- A lot many times, cool artificial tears also help treat allergic Pink Eye. These artificial tears come in the form of lubricating eye drops that are easily available over-the-counter at any medical store.
How Did My Baby Get Pink Eye?
On most occasions, Pink Eye is spread due to its contagious nature. Here are the most common secrets to cure and prevent ‘Pink Eye’ in babies:
- If an already-infected person comes in contact with your baby. The secretion from the eye during conjunctivitis usually spreads fast when there is direct hand-eye contact.
- When bacteria are the cause, then the infection can be spread from one person to another easily with the help of the same bacteria.
- Improper hygiene can also cause Pink Eye in your baby. Make sure that your baby’s daycare centers, schools, and caretakers maintain hygiene. Follow a good hygienic routine yourself.
Prevention Is Better Than Cure:
Good hygiene is one of the best ways of preventing Pink Eye in your baby. It can really help prevent it from spreading further. Here are few tips you must take care of if your baby is infected with ‘Pink Eye’.
- Firstly, get your baby to wash his hands as often as possible. This holds true even for people who come in contact with the baby.
- Prevent them from touching their own eyes too often.
- Never use the same wipes, tissues, cotton, towels, clothes, handkerchiefs, and tissues that you have used to clean their eyes, or face. The infection might get spread even more.
- Change your baby’s pillow or cushion cover frequently.
We advise you to see your doctor immediately before the condition worsens. Pink Eye can be very uneasy and you sure would not want your baby to experience that discomfort. You must report to your doctor about the pace of recovery and if the problems persist long, check with your ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Tell us how helpful you found this article about secrets to cure and prevent ‘Pink Eye’ in babies. Leave your comments in the box below and share your feedback.
Read This Article Effective Tips To Keep Eye Infections At Bay In Infants