Swimming is not only an enjoyable fitness activity but is also a life-saving skill. Are you anxious to know when to start swimming lessons for baby? If yes, then our article is the best for you and your doubts. Here are some Facts about Right Age To Take Your Baby For Swimming
At What Age Can Babies Start Swimming Lessons?
Well, mommies, by the time your darling turns six months old, he or she is capable of kicking and splashing water and will enjoy his or her stay in the pool. So, from 6 months of age, you and your baby can enjoy a fun time in the pool of your house!
- There is no need to worry about the chlorine in water, but make sure your baby is holding her head up before you take her to swim. This will keep her sturdier and firmer.
- Do not worry if you find her screaming in the initial days. If she loves bathing, there are chances that she will love to swim as well.
- You can consider taking trail classes before enrolling her in the regular classes. Give it some time for your baby to get used to the cold water.
Pay Attention To Water Safety:
Water safety is one of the biggest concerns that you need to keep in mind while taking your baby for swimming. You need to ensure your baby is not facing near-drowning situations. Here are some water safety rules that you need to keep in mind .
- Keep a close watch on your baby. You must be around all the time. Hold on to her in the pool. Do not leave her unattended!
- Keep a track on the duration of swimming. It must not exceed 10 minutes. You can increase the time gradually and must her out of water when she starts shivering.
- If your baby is on her way to becoming a toddler and starts running, teach her not to run near the water bodies. Make her wear personal flotation device (PFD).
Keep Tears To The Minimum:
To ensure you keep her tears to the minimum, here are some strategies you need to keep in mind:
- Give her time to settle in the water. Hold her securely and make her feel safe.
- There is no need to rush, always start slow. Start with gentle motions. Swaying from side to side or bouncing up and down are some good options.
- Once your baby is comfortable, you can demonstrate the basic fun skills like splashing and bubbles.
- Praise her even in case of her smallest accomplishments.
- You can begin with flotation devices and make sure to not use them when you are teaching her to swim.
6 Important Tips To Remember:
When you are considering taking your baby to swimming classes, here are some important aspects that you must be aware of. These are some Facts about Right Age To Take Your Baby For Swimming Take a look:
1. There is no need to immunize your baby fully before taking her to swimming classes. In case you have any concerns, you can have a talk with your doctor about your pre-immunization concerns.
2. The body temperature of babies tends to vary. See to it that the water is not very cold. Again, the water must not be too hot, as that can too be very dangerous for her.
3. Your baby should be fed 30 minutes before getting into the pool. Even if it is liquid it must be fully digested.
4. In case you are feeding solids, give at least an hour for the food to get digested completely.
5. Due to rigorous exercises after swimming, she might feel hungry; offer her a big meal after the classes.
6. Foods should never be brought inside the pool facility, as it’s harmful to do so. Hope by now you might have known when can you take babies swimming. When you start early, take advantage of the primitive strokes that come naturally to your baby. When she is younger, her inbuilt gag reflex is the strongest. This means she can hold her breath without worrying about it when swimming. Happy swimming with your baby! Moms share with us when was the first time you took your baby to the swimming classes.
Read this article (How to Find The Way with Baby Names)