Are you anxious about the health of your baby? Do you suspect cold sores? These are small, red small blisters filled with fluid that develop around the lip or on them. Here is a Quick Guide: Effective Treatments To Cure Cold Sores In Babies. Thes are Caused by the HSV-1 or herpes simplex virus, these reside on the insides of the nerve tissues. Can babies get cold sores? While your baby may develop cold sores, but the symptoms may not always be visible. It is thus safe to consult a doctor whenever you see temperature or uneasiness in your baby. He shall diagnose and suggest the right treatment solutions.
Symptoms Of Cold Sores In Babies:
Once you are armed with proper knowledge about a disease, it becomes easier for you to handle the next stage better. Have a look at the common symptoms that your baby suffering from cold sore may develop:
- Check if your baby has developed swollen gums or a sore mouth.
- Look for blisters after some days that generally appear around the lips. These blisters shall turn shallow and painful.
- Check for breakouts along with swollen lymph glands on the neck and fever.
- Feelings of irritability, difficulty in eating are common at this stage. The symptoms generally last for 14 days.
- The sore shall start crushing after few days and will disappear with time.
- Your child may develop sores again if not treated on time.
The virus causing cold sores can be very contagious and thus you need to take appropriate measures to prevent the infection from spreading. See what you can do:
- The best way you can avoid cold sores is keeping your baby away from those suffering from cold sores in the family.
- You must also protect her from exposure to too much of sunlight, as it may trigger an outbreak.
- Sterilize the utensils and bottles that your baby uses.
- If your baby suffers from cold sores, breastfeeding is a great option, since she would not want to take her regular meals.
- You can also formula feed your baby and offer extra water to keep her dehydrated.
- Make sure your baby uses separate towels that are not used by others. Wash her hands every time she touches the sores.
- Try to keep your baby engaged so that she does not touch her eyes. HSV infections in eyes can be very deadly.
- If you are looking after your baby, make sure you too wash your hands frequently, as the virus can quickly spread to others.
Treatment For Cold Sores In Babies:
It can indeed be very difficult to detect the symptoms in babies. However, in case you are concerned about her health, you can always have a word with your doctor. Take a look at the cold sore treatment for babies that follows upon diagnosis:
- It generally takes around 7 to 10 days to treat cold sores.
- While many are comfortable buying a topical cream or salve from the shop, we always encourage talking to the doctor first before introducing any drug to your baby.
- Your doctor may suggest antiviral creams available in the pharmacies.
- Application of such creams eases the symptoms that speed up the process of recovery.
- It is better to apply the cream when you experience the early tingling symptoms.
- If your baby is a month old, you may offer paracetamol or ibuprofen to ease the discomforts.
- You must thoroughly wash your hands after applying the cream and make sure you do not share the cream with others.
The good news is babies cold sores alone are not dangerous, but you need to be careful that it does not spread to other parts of your baby’s body. Seek advice from your doctor and keep in the mind the above mentioned precautionary measure.
READ ALSO THIS ARTICLE formula to Treat Your Baby’s Cold